Monday, June 13, 2011

Carnaby Street Feast






To do a little hand-on research for our Street Style projects we head down to Carnaby Street were the MOD movement flourished. This area still carters to the Mod scene today with shops like Ben Sherman, Merc, Lambretta, and a more vintage shop called the Face. This Mod movement really did a lot for men's dress and Chelsea and I are trying to bring back some things that may catch on back in the States, yes Aaron if you ever read this that means for you. After talking to some fascinating people that either lived through the revival of the Mods in the early 1980's or young workers who were just very knowledgeable about the history of the tribe, we decided to stop and eat at a place called The Diner.




The Diner was amazing and we had a feast!!! We both had chicken burritos (had to because of the Mexican food withdrawals we are suffering), and split the baked macaroni and cheese and diner fries both of which were incredible! The atmosphere was also very intriguing with decor being more mod and the staff seemed a mix of punk, mod, or a combination of those two style tribes. All in all besides being very slow to get seated this was a very good pick for some girls craving comfort food.

Not having anything relevant to do with Carnaby Street..... Later on that night Chelsea and I ran out of bottled water, not wanting to drink the tap in a foreign county or walk to the store at 11 pm, I told her to just boil some water and we would cool it off in the fridge. She gave me a look and said,"that seems a little old country," or something along those lines. I have encountered an electric kettle before which boils a good amount of water fairly quickly and assumed Chelsea had too. However, I learned that was not the case when I walked into the kitchen five minutes later and she was boiling water in our pot (that maybe holds two cups) instead of the electric kettle. We both got a good laugh once I explained what I had meant when I said boil water. Oh how I wish I had a video or picture at least of that one....

No comments:

Post a Comment