Thursday, June 23, 2011

Oh! How Studious You Are!

The first day back from France we went down to Central St Martins which is one of the most prestigious fashion colleges in the world and has graduated designers such as Stella McCartney, John Galliano, and Alexander McQueen. We got to walk around to different rooms and see collections from undergrad classes in fashion design, marketing and all of the design major have a minor in communication and have to make look books and business cards which I thought was great. The most amazing part is that we also got to see the graduate collections. To graduate in fashion design from central St Martins is an amazing feat because every year they reduce the class size by half to cut the program down to ten final students, hence why the graduating class from here is always so successful.

Then we headed down to Carnaby St which I have already talked about, but most of the class hadn't experienced yet. We also went to Liberty which is at the top of Carnaby street and is a very different type of department store. You would never even realize that it was a department store if you were walking by. It has five levels but we only made it through the first until we had to meet up with the group. I really want to go back though because the different departments were separated in a way that made them each feel intimate and warm.

Wednesday we were off to Oxford!!! First we made a pit stop by Blenheim Palace where many famous movies have been filmed. The grounds were beautiful and we got a quick tour of part of the castle but had to cut it short to make it on time to the lecture. The class we got to sit in was called the future of retailing and it was really interesting. The teachers were engaging and switched off lecturing so you don't fall asleep from hearing the same voice all class. I wore a "nerdy" little get-up with a blazer and my fake glasses and was taking notes like a mad person on my computer. Oxford was not quite as I expected. I thought everyone in this MBA class would come in suits or talk in a proper way, but it felt like being back in class at OSU. People still wore casual clothes and tennis shoes and a few students walked in late with coffee with out reprimand. I am so grateful I got to be a part of this because I am seriously considering going back to school to get my MBA. i wish we could have got to walk around and see more of the campus, but there was not enough time. But I did get to go to the school shop and get some souvenirs! On the way back Chelsea and I had a dance party on the bus... which is always a good time.

No comments:

Post a Comment